Apple, on September 12, announced three new iPhones, claiming two of them to be “the most advanced iPhones ever.” The company believes that the trio, including the iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max and iPhone XR, will take the vision for the future of the smartphone to a new level.
“iPhone Xs is not one, but two new iPhone models, and iPhone Xs Max offers the biggest display ever in an iPhone with the biggest battery ever in an iPhone, delivering up to an hour and a half more battery life in your day,” Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing, said in a statement.
iPhone XS family: What’s special?
The iPhone XS models carry the same design as the 2017’s iPhone X. Therefore, you will find the attractive edge-to-edge OLED screen with reduced bezels and the “notch” housing the front-facing TrueDepth camera system.
Measuring at 5.8 inches, the iPhone XS is the direct successor to the iPhone X. The iPhone XS Max, on the other hand, is Apple’s biggest iPhone offering yet measuring at 6.5 inches.
Apple said that both models would be available in Space Gray, Silver and Gold colour options.
The iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max are powered by a new A12 Bionic chip. It’s the first 7-nanometer chip in a smartphone, including a next-generation 8-core Neural Engine that makes the Face ID noticeably faster.
When it comes to display, Apple claims that the iPhone XS Max offers over three million pixels for videos, movies and games. Therefore, the handset has the largest display the company has ever built in an iPhone, “in a footprint similar to iPhone 8 Plus.”
Battery life on the iPhone XS is claimed to be 30 minutes longer than that of the iPhone X. The iPhone XS Max, meanwhile, offers an extended battery life of one hour and 30 minutes, compared to the predecessor model.
The iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max are splash- and water-resistant rated IP68. The phones can be submerged two metres underwater for up to 30 minutes.
Take a look at the infographic below explaining the specs of the iPhone XS and XS Max:
iPhone XR integrates key iPhone XS technologies
The iPhone XR comes with the same all-screen design as the iPhone XS models, but with an aluminium frame.
The handset features a 6.1-inch edge-to-edge “Liquid Retina” LCD display, and is available in White, Black, Blue, Coral, Yellow and (PRODUCT)Red colour options.
The iPhone XR also sports the A12 Bionic chip with next-generation Neural Engine. The phone is splash- and water-resistant, with a rating of IP67.
The phone features LTE Advanced for faster download speeds and introduces Dual SIM through the use of a nano-SIM and digital eSIM.
The handset is equipped with a 12-megapixel f/1.8 aperture wide-angle lens. A new sensor delivers faster auto-focus while larger and deeper pixels improve image fidelity and low-light performance.
iPhone XR specs in a nut shell:
- Capacity: 64GB / 128GB / 256GB
- Size and Weight: 5.94 inches (H), 2.98 inches (W), 0.33 inch (D); 194 grams
- Display: Liquid Retina HD display, 6.1-inch all-screen LCD Multi-Touch display with IPS technology, 1792-by-828-pixel resolution at 326 ppi
- Chip: A12 Bionic chip with next-generation Neural Engine
- Camera: 12MP wide-angle camera with ƒ/1.8 aperture, digital zoom up to 5x
- Video Recording: 4K video recording at 24 fps, 30 fps, or 60 fps, digital zoom up to 3x
- TrueDepth Camera: 7MP camera with ƒ/2.2 aperture, Animoji and Memoji, Retina Flash
- Sensors: Face ID, Barometer, Three‑axis gyro, Accelerometer, Proximity sensor and Ambient light sensor
- Battery: Built-in rechargeable lithium‑ion battery that lasts up to 1.5 hours longer than iPhone 8 Plus
- Operating System: iOS 12